Dogs are fond of sweets and with their superb sense of smell; they can sniff them out even under layers of cover. But the sad thing is that sweets can be extremely dangerous for them. The main reason being that humans and dogs have very different ways of digesting compounds found in sweets.
Here are two common sweet ingredients you must read about before you give in to your dog’s persuasion to let him have the chocolates and muffins you just brought home.
Xylitol: It is a natural sweetner that is safe, and even beneficial, for humans. It is being used in almost everything from toothpaste and candy to baked stuff and beverages. It is gaining popularity increasingly because it prevents tooth decay and does not fluctuate human blood sugar, thereby being very suitable for diabetics. However, if a dog consumes it, his blood sugar will plummet down to alarming levels, liver can fail within 12 to 24 hours, and death can occur soon after.
Chocolate: The killer component is theobromine. Dogs digest it very slowly, unlike humans who do it at normal rates. It can cause a toxin build up that will lead to seizures, uneven heartbeat, internal bleeding, or even a heart attack. The more cocoa a chocolate has, the more theobromine it contains. Although a single piece of chocolate doesn’t do much harm, if a small dog has consumed a box of chocolates, it is an emergency. Rush to the vet immediately.
If you are in Singapore, you can contact Mount Pleasant Veterinary Clinic which has a well-equipped emergency facility as well as after-hours services that provides urgent medical attention even on holidays.